Dubliners prepared to pay more to EAT locally, new survey reveals
New research suggests that Dubliners are loyal to their local eateries: over half (58%) would rather pay more to dine at a local restaurant1, compared to 23% who would prefer to spend less at a restaurant further away1. OpenTable and Mastercard have teamed up to help Dublin residents find restaurant inspiration right on their doorstep with the launch of Dine Local, an initiative which shines a spotlight on a variety of fantastic local venues and offers diners who book at one of these spots the chance to win a gastronomic weekend away in the Cotswolds.
With 21 locations across Dublin to choose from, offering a wide variety of experiences until 19th November2, foodies can enjoy a host of diverse cuisines and culinary delights that are just a stone’s throw away. This comes as nearly a third (29%) of Dubliners cite that they choose to dine locally due to great offers, dining experiences and set menus1.
Research also suggests why Dublin diners may be so loyal to their local foodie spots1:
- 78% ‘feel at home at their local restaurants’
- The majority of Dubliners (63%) ‘always feel welcome when dining there’
- Nearly a quarter (23%) of diners say that, ‘staff know their usual food / drink order’
- 16% of Dubliners are on ‘a first name basis with the staff or owners’
From Mexican themed nights and Michelin Star dining experiences to affordable lunch set menus and meals for two, diners are spoilt for choice for every occasion, including2:
- Ukiyo in Dublin 2 – Sushi Experience for Two – Enjoy a selection of sushi prepared by Ukiyo’s award-winning sushi master at this modern East Asian restaurant and late night cocktail bar. Featuring a full bar and outdoor terrace, with DJs and music on the weekend.
- Thunder Road Café in Dublin 2 – Mexican Tuesdays – An evening of Mexican flavours and vibrant beats. For just €50, enjoy two mouth-watering main courses and two handcrafted margaritas alongside lively music from Mexican DJ Mario.
- Orwell Road in Dublin 6 – Steak and Wine for Two – A modern Irish neighbourhood restaurant, serving seasonal local Irish ingredients. Enjoy côte de boeuf to share with two sides and a bottle of house red wine for only €100.
- Brother Hubbard – North in Dublin 1 – Middle East Feast – This Michelin Star restaurant is nestled in the city centre on Capel Street, diners can immerse themselves in a rich tapestry of flavours with its mezze meal experience for €36 per person – vegan and gluten free options available too.
- Peperina City Bistro in Dublin 2 – Let’s Do Lunch! – Two course lunch for €20 per person, Monday to Friday, including a drink of your choice at Peperina City Bistro – the new creation by the people behind the ever popular Peperina Garden Bistro in Ranelagh. With an Irish kitchen with an Argentinian twist, diners can expect dishes like empanadas and milanesas.
Robin Chiang, Senior Vice President International Growth at OpenTable, said: “Diners in Dublin are already supporting local restaurants, with research showing that 63% will typically visit their favourite local hospitality venue at least twice a month1. The Dine Local initiative aims to introduce locals to new culinary experiences whilst also encouraging them to continue supporting their favourite local restaurants.”
Charlie Carrington, Senior Vice President Area Marketing & Comms for International Markets at Mastercard, said: “This year, we’re thrilled to bring back our Dine Local partnership with OpenTable. Available at 21 locations across Dublin, we’re proud to support local businesses and committed to initiatives like this one. We know that people are keen to eat out and spend locally, and our payments technology allows them to do so with confidence.”
In addition, OpenTable and Mastercard are offering the chance to win a weekend of culinary bliss for two in the Cotswolds, staying at the Thyme Hotel for two nights and eating at some of the best restaurants the local area has to offer. To enter, diners simply need to register their Mastercard, book with OpenTable at a participating Dine Local restaurant and pay with their Mastercard before 19th November 2023. Diners who have booked a Dine Local experience can also find a QR code on their bill holder in the restaurant to get the form and enter their details. To register a Mastercard and be in with the chance of winning the getaway, and to see full Terms and Conditions, visit here.